The project consisted of the mechanical and electrical building services installation for a new 120 cell accommodation block at HMP Maghaberry. The accommodation block is a two storey construction consisting of 104 standard cells, 4 disabled cells and 12 safer cells all with Individual sanitary facilities. The facility also has communal areas, showers, laundries, serveries, control room, command desk, interview rooms, offices, meeting rooms and external services including training areas and a sports pitch.
Associated with the new build accommodation block was a new HV/LV substation complete with standby generator, biomass boiler installation and upgrades to the existing site energy centre and emergency control room. (ECR)
- The form of contract was NEC3 Option C with a mechanical and electrical services value of £8,000,000, completed over a 15 month duration.
- We worked in close co-ordination with the project designers and consultants to provide the prison with a robust mechanical and electrical services installation taking into consideration the secure nature of the site and the unique challenges that this entailed such as anti-ligature equipment and fittings
- Project consisted of a high concentration of complex mechanical and electrical services such as integrating the new HV sub station with the existing site wide infrastructure.
- As part of the upgrades to the existing site energy centre a new biomass boiler was installed and the district heating main was extended to service the new accommodation block.
- Other complex system included BEMS control systems, Sprinkler systems, grille gate and cell locking, staff attack, cell call, CCTV, solar water heating, air source heat pumps, DX cooling, VRF AC systems, rainwater harvesting, gas and carbon monoxide detection systems, ATEX and DSEAR rated wood pellet store, Logstor MTHW district heating systems and underfloor heating system.
- Installation of M&E services within the pre-fabricated toilet/ riser pods and walls
- BREEAM rating – Excellent
- The project won the commercial construction award in construction excellence 2013
Client: Northern Ireland Prison Service
Main Contractor: Henry Brothers
Architect: JNP Architects
Consultant: JCP Consulting
Services: Mechanical & Electrical
Duration: 15 Months
Location: Maghaberry, County Antrim