The project consisted of a 5 storey extension on top off the existing QUB Anatomy Building located within the grounds of the Belfast City Hospital. The new extension included laboratories, offices, training facilities, post grade rooms, tea stations and toilets all serviced from a new roof top plant room. The project achieved a BREEAM score of Excellent.
- The main power supply for the new extension was connected into the existing site infrastructure from a switch room located approximately 200 meters away. The new connection required the installation of cables through existing live areas with works taking place out of normal working hours.
- In addition to the new ventilation system we replaced the existing air handling unit and fume extract fan serving the dissection laboratory relocating them to the new rooftop plantroom.
- Modification to the services supplying the existing floors to allow them to be feed from the new rooftop plantroom.
- Other mechanical systems included new heating, plumbing, soils and wastes, sanitary ware, solar water heating, ventilation, fume cabinets, process water, laboratory gas and a building energy management system.
- For the general and emergency lighting we installed an extensive controls package including daylight and movement sensors in every room. The controls where fully programmed and commissioned to the clients requirements before the project handover.
- The new security package and fire alarm installation in the extension was fully integrated with the existing systems within the complex including CCTV, door access and intruder alarm.
- A major complexity was the logistics of constructing 5 additional floors onto an existing building and the complex co-ordination to accommodate services travelling through the existing levels to above. Therefore over and above levels of co-ordination were required to ensure services were installed within the confines of existing risers.
Client: Queens University Belfast
Main Contractor: McLaughlin & Harvey Ltd
Architect: Boswell, Mitchell & Johnston
Consultant: White Young Green
Services: Mechanical & Electrical
Duration: 52 weeks