We carried out the mechanical and electrical services for the 336 bed complex built on the site of the University’s Storie Street car park. The new student accommodation includes bedrooms with en-suite bathrooms and communal kitchen/living facilities provided for every cluster of 5 or 6 beds; a management suite; student lounge and laundry facilities. The en-suite facility is a standardised design provided by prefabricated, fully finished and pre-plumbed GRP pods which were located in each of the rooms the floors were erected.
- During the project there were concerns regarding the space required for the ventilation system which we overcame with the installation of a bespoke ventilation system with inverter driven fans that fitted in with the constraints of the allocated space and met the client performance requirements.
- Heating is provided via a central heating plantroom with gas fired boilers and separate gas fired water heaters.
- The en-suites for each bedroom was installed as a complete POD. We then connected the services within the riser’s stacks between rooms. This included the installation of the TMV which was located in the riser for ease of maintenance.
- The accommodation also includes a number of disabled access bedrooms.
- The CCTV system comprises of 66 internal and 9 external fixed cameras and an external PTZ camera, connected to the Universities existing milestone system located in the main campus via the Cat 6 network. During the day, the cameras provide a HD colour image before switching during night hours or periods of extremely poor lighting conditions to an infrared-sensitive black-and-white image. Utilising this technology, the cameras offer a 24-hour surveillance solution.
Client: University of Western Scotland
Main Contractor: Graham Construction Ltd
Architect: Lewis & Hickey Limited
Consultant: Ramboll UK Ltd
Services: Mechanical & Electrical
Duration: 67 weeks
Location: Paisley, Scotland