The project consisted of the construction of a new build 301no. bed student accommodation block specifically designed for students with study areas and common rooms, a courtyard area providing external amenity space, ancillary and communal areas and a secure bike storage area. A former warehouse in Dunblane Street was demolished to make way for the new build construction project which was built on an entire street block bounded by Dunblane Street, Milton Street, Larbert Street and McPhater Street in Glasgow. The scheme resulted in a high-quality building which is sympathetic to local traditions. The site is close to Glasgow Caledonian University and the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland and is in relative proximity to Strathclyde University and is therefore considered a prime location for purpose-built student accommodation.”
- All classic bedrooms have an en-suite bathroom with a shared kitchen/dining area. Studio bedrooms also have an en-suite bathroom and have their own modern kitchenette with fridge-freezer, microwave oven and hob. There’s also practice rooms, games room, on-site gym and a cinema room.
- We provided a highly specialist, complex M&E package to the project.
- The mechanical services included ventilation, plumbing & heating, air conditioning, soils & wastes, BMS and sprinkler system.
- The electrical services included mains & sub mains distribution, life safety generator, general & emergency lighting, small power, fire alarm, intruder alarm, access control & intercom, CCTV, TV, induction loop and lightning protection system.
- We introduced an element of pre-fabrication into the project with supports & bracketry, mechanical plant and containment.
- One of the complexities was site logistics. With the building being constructed in Glasgow City Centre we had to be aware of our surroundings and deliveries had to be carefully scheduled.
Main Contractor: Graham Construction
Architect: Mosiac Architecture & Design
Consultant: Atelier 10
Duration: 12 Months
Location: Glasgow, Scotland